Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Foreign, pop, independent and just plain funny

Here's a little something for everyone:

Lila Says
A young French woman living in an Arabic neighborhood in Marseilles seduces a young Arabic man. This is a very erotic coming of age story and is really quite beautiful, though sad.


Be Kind, Rewind
I think this film was meant to be heartfelt and touching but personally I found it to be boring. The idea was cute and it was fun watching them “Swede” the movies, but I’m glad I didn’t pay for this one.


Charlie Bartlett
A high school student, rich & eager to be accepted, becomes the schools’ unofficial pharmacist/psychiatrist. The film is both sad & amusing in its portrayal of the hypocrisy of American attitudes towards drugs.


Wonder Boys
Is a screwball comedy of one man trying to keep his life from going completely out of control. Michael Douglas plays the part of the professor/writer with the crazy life, and a star-studded cast aids & abets in his craziness. Very funny!

1 comment:

maura said...

I am sorry to say I have to agree with you about 'Be Kind, Rewind'. I so wanted to love this movie. I think Michel Gondry is an amazing director,one of my favorites. It is a fantastic idea that didn't translate very well.