Monday, December 29, 2008

What I've been watching: Island at War; Traitor; X-Files: I Want to Believe; Ghost Town; Eagle Eye; I've Loved You So Long; Nothing Like the Holidays

Island at War
This 3 vol. mini-series first appeared on Masterpiece Theatre. It is the story of the German occupation of the Channel Isles. Filmed on location on the Isle of Man the story is engaging and entertaining, and the landscapes beautiful to behold.

Traitor
This is an exciting counter-espionage terrorist film. Don Cheadle gives a great performance in the complex role of the ex-soldier turned terrorist.

X-Files: I Want to Believe
Although I’m not a huge X-files fan I did find this film to be engaging from beginning to end. Interesting story, good pacing and a return of Mulder and Scully: I liked it.

Ghost Town
This romantic comedy is more romance than comedy. It’s cute. If you liked Just like heaven, you’ll like this one, and vice-versa.

Eagle Eye
As long as you don’t mind a lack of originality, this is quite exciting. It holds your interest throughout. As a technological thriller I much prefer Enemy of the State.

I’ve Loved You So Long (French)
I saw this one at the theatre and loved it. Kristin Scott-Thomas stars as a former Doctor imprisoned for murdering her son. The film starts as she is released from prison and goes to live with her estranged younger sister and her family. The story is dealt with very subtly and all characters, including the secondary characters are well-developed and sympathetic. I’ll add this one to my ten best list.

Nothing Like the Holidays
It's hard to find a holiday film that isn't full of clichés and this one is no exception. This is the gathering of the entire Rodriguez family for Christmas. There is the usual bickering among siblings, love lost and gained, humor and pathos. It's all there but this time with a Latin flavor. All performances are lively and sympathetic. It may be clichéd but it is still a warm-hearted family holiday film.

No comments: