Thursday, May 21, 2009

What I’ve been watching:

I’ve apparently been on a roll these last couple of weeks because I have watched 5 DVDs! Not at all typical for me but I do enjoy it. Here’s what I’ve been watching:

In the Electric Mist
I’m a fan of James Lee Burke’s Dave Robicheaux books from which this is made. It’s not a great film but I was drawn into the story & characters. The music was great as were the Louisiana landscapes.

They Made Me a Fugitive
Made in 1947 this British noir film is fantastic! It’s a post-war crime drama with an interesting ending. Plus, Trevor Howard is great!

Elegy

I really liked this film. All of the characters and relationships are complex and deep. You may or may not like these people but they are immensely interesting.

Contraband
This was a light-hearted, WWII, spy, adventure film. Leonard Maltin compares it to Hitchcock’s early films which is an accurate comparison. I thought it was a lot of fun!

Thérèse Raquin
From Emile Zola's novel of adultery, blackmail and murder this film is suspenseful and has great acting. Simone Signoret is fantastic as the unhappy Thérèse.

No comments: