Wednesday, June 4, 2008

More Sydney Pollack

On Sunday mornings I watch “Sunday Morning Shootout” (11:00 a.m. on AMC) with Peter Bart (Editor-in-chief of Variety) and Peter Guber (movie producer). This is not a movie reviewing show like Siskel and Ebert, but is a movie talk show. They interview people both in front of and behind the camera, in fact, anyone in the business. It’s usually pretty interesting although it’s only a ½ hour show so you don’t get any in depth interviews. Last week they started their program with an homage to Sydney Pollack at the end of which they asked viewers to vote for their favorite Pollack film on www.amctv.com. They haven’t gotten too many responses but it did get me to thinking about Sydney Pollacks’ films again. In trying to choose my favorite film I find myself thinking back to the films and remembering what they meant to me at the time I saw them. This Property is Condemned (1966) made an impression on me but They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? in 1969 blew me away. It’s an incredibly depressing movie but it’s very powerful. Jeremiah Johnson (1972) is a great western. It is a quiet movie, not much talk, and has beautiful scenery. Three Days of the Condor (1975) is one of my favorite political thrillers. I always thought Redford’s job as a reader for the CIA would be the perfect job for me! This one’s as good today as it was when it was made. Tootsie (1982) is just plain fun and Out of Africa (1985) is a terrific love story. The Firm (1993) is one of the best of all the John Grisham books-made-into-movies and watching The Interpreter (2005) felt like a return to the films of the 70’s. I loved them all! As an actor I thought Sydney Pollack was outstanding in Woody Allen’s Husbands and Wives (1992) and equally good in the smaller role in Stanley Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut (1999). He is one man who if he was connected to a movie in any way, I wanted to see the film. I have checked out his Sketches of Frank Gehry (2005) and I can’t wait to go home and watch it. If you haven’t seen these films and would like to they are all available in the Upper Hudson Library System. Just put in a request and it’s yours for the viewing! Enjoy.

No comments: